Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Word About Photographing Children



The recent controversy over Vogue magazine publishing questionable photographs of 10 year old, Thylane Blondeau, has brought my long-held views about innocence and beauty to the forefront, prompting correspondence with my professional organization, Professional Photographers of America (PPA).


Knowing that our trade looks toward the fashion industry as a trend-setter, the possibility of seeing children photographed in a sensual and adult way is of great concern to me. As a member of PPA, I adhere to the PPA Code of Ethics, and believe it unethical to photograph children in a sexually suggestive manner. I have asked PPA to make a public statement denouncing such images.


As for my business, Natural Elements Photography, I wish to extend my personal views on photographing children, as you may contemplate hiring my services:


I photograph to highlight the joy and innocence of children, to capture the essence of their laughter and interaction with family. I believe there is a ray of heaven in their eyes as they discover something of the natural world, such as a flower, an insect or even a mud puddle! I photograph children in traditional types of modest clothing, usually solid colors, so that the focus is on their eyes and expressions. When I am not making candid images of children playing outdoors, I incorporate modest poses to simulate a natural occurrence, such as sitting or leaning on a fallen log, reading a book by a tree trunk or sitting on a quilt at an outdoor tea party.





















If this is what you are looking for with images of your children, then I may be just what you are looking for. If you are searching for images of your children in adult attire or otherwise adorned to replicate a mature model or dancer, I am not the photographer for you.


Amy L. Thornton


No comments: